Birthmark: Strawberry Hemangioma

My daughter, Keisha, can be easily identified from other babies of her age through her birthmark which was frequently mistaken as a wound. It started to appear 2 weeks after her birth. It was just a small flat red mark in between her lower left eye and her upper right cheek. Thinking that it was a mosquito bite, I was not worried. Days and weeks passed, the mark grew bigger and more reddish.

Initial appearance of her birthmark looking like a mosquito bite

Just in time with her first monthly check-up, I seek the help of an expert-her pediatrician for medical advice. Unfortunately, the doctor was not able to give a concrete explanation on what was on my daughter’s face. She only advised me to observe if it will disappear or if it will grow bigger. Feeling dissatisfied with her explanation, I looked for another doctor who can possibly give me a more sound clarification with the lesion on Keisha’s face.

Keisha @ 1 month and 1 week

With the help of my husband’s cousin we were able to find a new pediatrician in the name of Dr. Galvez in Taytay, Rizal. According to him, the mark on my daughter’s face is a birthmark called hemangioma. Well, finally, I was enlightened that it was a birthmark. I was not aware that there were birthmarks occurring after birth. And my daughter’s case was one of those. A hemangioma is an abnormal build up of blood vessels in the skin.

It has three types:

1. Nevus flammeus – a macular purple or dark red lesion that is present at birth. It is sometimes called a port-wine stain because ot its deep red color.

2. Cavernous hemangiomas – dilated vascular spaces that do not disappear with time.

3. Strawberry hemangiomas – elevated areas formed by immature capillaries and endothelial cells. Most are present  at birth, although, they may appear 2 weeks after birth. They may continue to enlarge from their original size up to 1 year of age. After the first year, they tend to be absorbed and shrink in size. (source: Maternal & Child Health Nursing by Adele Pillitteri)

Keisha @ 7 months

She just turned 1 in this picture taken last November 2010.

Categorically speaking, what Keisha has is a strawberry hemangioma. Formation of it is associated with my high estrogen level during pregnancy. But, in contrast with the other types, strawberry hemangiomas tend to lighten and fade with age. With my observation, her birthmark has stopped increasing in size and has already started shrinking. The middle part is not that red anymore unlike before. I will patiently wait until it’s completely gone. But, for now, honestly, I’m not bothered with  the red mark on her face . I don’t find my daughter imperfect nor disfigured just because of it. I love her dearly and I’m just thankful to God that I have her in my life.

Keisha's recent photo at 1 year and 6 months taken last April 30, 2011.

• Reply Tina June 21, 2011 at 5:07 am

talking about birthmark, my daughter alexa has a birthmark too.. in her private part. I dare not take a photo of it as she might get angry when she gets older. 🙂

• Reply jheylo October 11, 2012 at 5:48 pm

birthmarks are one way of identifying our children. if they’re lost (hopefully it wont happen) we can easily identify them. My son has a big mole on the back of his head, just like mine. my daughter has 3 moles on her neck just like mine too 😀

• Reply Shela October 11, 2012 at 7:57 pm

She’s cute baby! My son has a birth mark in his right rib just like my dad, on the same spot same size and same mark form! lol just weird.

• Reply jesie October 12, 2012 at 2:05 am

that’s quite alarming since the birthmark is growing at the same time as your daughter were. Did the pedia examined further?

If it’s a birthmark then nothing to worry about i guess except when it’s growing at the same time.

• Reply Maica Ocfemia-Figuracion October 12, 2012 at 6:01 pm

It’s not that reddish anymore now. The pedia said, that there’s nothing to worry about.

• Reply Momgen Reviews October 12, 2012 at 3:14 am

She is gorgeous little girl and the birthmark is ok to be there she is still pretty.

• Reply Mary Anne Vinzon October 12, 2012 at 7:17 am

My brother also have a red birthmark on his back.The birthmark becomes larger as he grows older.

• Reply Raya October 12, 2012 at 7:18 am

IT’s a good thing that it fades with age,Mommy.. but even if it doesn’t , your baby is still so pretty and adorable! And yes, the birthmark will always set her apart from other kids.

• Reply Jessica Cassidy October 12, 2012 at 10:32 am

Keisha is more beautiful with her mark Momi 🙂 She is so adorable and still is 🙂

• Reply Maica Ocfemia-Figuracion October 12, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Thank you!

• Reply The Purple Doll October 12, 2012 at 11:21 am

Wow, I never knew that there’s this kind of birthmark. Whenever I see children with reddish marks on their face or body, I always assume it’s a wound ’cause kids are generally malikot. But thanks to your post, I’m enlightened. I won’t assume things like this anymore ^^

• Reply Bless October 13, 2012 at 4:52 am

My kids don’t have birthmarks but our youngest still has mongolian spots all over her back.

Your baby is so adorable!

• Reply rocky October 14, 2012 at 4:28 am

oh she’s so cute and adorable!

• Reply Nancy October 14, 2012 at 9:59 am

Keisha looks pretty just the same with or without the birthmark.