Receiving the Sacrament of Baptism

It was on the 20th of December, year 2009, 1 month and 26 days after I gave birth, when my daughter, Keisha was baptized as a Christian in the same church where my husband and I were wed – Our Lady of the Abandoned Parish in Marikina City.

Our Lady of the Abandoned Parish

We came there not knowing that there were vast number of other babies waiting to be baptized too. If I was not mistaken there were less or more than 50 babies inside the church with their own set of families, relatives and godparents. I was shocked when I saw the scenario inside the church. Good thing we were able to occupy the first seat infront of the altar. Atleast, we were still able to focus in the mass and the ceremony. Most of Keisha’s godparents were there but some were lost due to the numerous people inside the church.

Daddy, Mommy and Princess Keisha inside the OLA Parish

The scenario inside the church

Baptism is a Holy Sacrament by which we are born again by being immersed in the water three times in the name of the Holy Trinity : the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. It has the first rank among the Seven Holy Sacraments.

Daddy and Keisha

With her Ninang Trix

The priest pours water over Keisha’s head three times

Blessing of the priest

A white hat was placed on Keisha’s head. The white hat or a white linen cloth symbolizes the purity of a soul cleansed from all sins.

Godparents with their candles lighted.

After the ceremony, we only had few shots infront of the altar due to the number of people having photo-ops. We headed right away to Marquinton Clubhouse. I felt sad that Keisha didn’t have pictures one by one with her godparents inside the church. But, despite of it, my husband and I were so thankful that finally, our daughter is already a baptized Christian.

Keisha with her loving Godparents.

• Reply Jenggai September 12, 2011 at 2:52 am

My husband and I were baptized, had our confirmation and wedding at OLA, too! We also had our little Andrei baptized in the same church last November 7, 2009. Sunday baptism in OLA is really packed with a throng of Christians-to-be so we opted for a Saturday schedule.

• Reply Kenshakei May 18, 2012 at 8:50 am

Hi, ask ko lang what are the requirements/fees for baptism sa OLA? Were planning to have our baptized at OLA din kasi but we are not really from Marikina. And also, would you know yung schedule for baptism nila? TIA. 🙂

• Reply Les September 21, 2012 at 9:24 am

Stressful mag prepare para sa Baptism but everything is worth it naman.

• Reply Maica Ocfemia-Figuracion September 22, 2012 at 2:59 am

Yes, everything is worth it. =)

• Reply nuts of morethanjustasahm.com September 21, 2012 at 10:08 am

my first time to see OLA at the picture above. This is the same scenario when my children were baptized, though there were a lot of babies, I still felt the ceremony because we occupy the first row. It took time for the priest to go around and baptize.

• Reply Maica Ocfemia-Figuracion September 22, 2012 at 3:01 am

It was somewhat a battle. Good thing we were able to occupy the front seat.

• Reply Badet | The Misis Chronicles September 21, 2012 at 10:35 am

I remember my daughter’s baptism because of your post. Time flies so fast.

• Reply rj's mama September 21, 2012 at 4:34 pm

wow! that’s a lot of babies that got baptized that day! no wonder ang daming bata sa Pinas 🙂

• Reply zoan September 21, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Me and my first born were baptiZed bythe same priest;) i am not married yet, but my second baby was baptized in our town’s parish priest. You have great photos here sis, wish i could share mine too but hindi muna ngayon

• Reply Teresa Martinez September 22, 2012 at 12:39 am

A child’s baptism is a major event in a child’s life. It is nice to see that you have prepared for your child’s baptism.

• Reply sigrid @ lovinglymama September 22, 2012 at 12:55 am

Gosh! You were so pretty and in a nice shape already when your baby turned 1! waaaa I wish I could say the same. 😀

• Reply Mommy Pehpot September 22, 2012 at 3:07 am

whoah 50 babies and for sure the church that time is full.. good thing that you came early and had a chance to occupy the front seats. 🙂

• Reply Momee Gee September 22, 2012 at 3:13 am

i too. ill be having my daughter baptized by tomorrow yet the place will be quite vast as expected. 🙂

• Reply jem alvarado September 22, 2012 at 9:44 am

I believe in the sacrament of Baptism and according to religious people it is best to receive the baptism as early as possible.

• Reply Mye September 22, 2012 at 11:21 am

OLA was my first choice when I wanted to get married before because it’s beautiful. Congrats on Keisha’s Christening!

• Reply Trish @ The All-around Mom September 24, 2012 at 5:39 am

This made me reminiscent of my children’s baptism. Preparations are very tedious and of course, costly, but well worth it. 🙂