Breastfeeding Tips

As a breastfeeding advocate, I would like to share to first-time moms the proper way on how to have a good latch and make breastfeeding easier and a comfortable experience for both the moms and the babies. This was what I followed in the 2 1/2 years that I breastfed my daughter.

BREASTFEEDING TIPS:

1.  With a clean washcloth or cotton swabs, wipe your breasts clean before  your  baby feeds.
  2. Sit comfortably in an upright position.  A pillow can help bring your baby to the proper level.  Raise one knee to help support his body.
  3. Support your baby’s head and bring him close to your breast.
  4. Stroke the baby’s cheek nearest you;  your baby will turn to you and search for your  nipple to find food.  This is called the “rooting reflex”.
  5. Guide your nipple toward his mouth.  Baby’s chin should be against the breast and his tongue underneath your nipple.  As he sucks, let your baby touch and stroke your breast.  Make sure that he’s sucking on the whole areola (darkened area of the breast), not just the nipple.  If he sucks on the nipple, you’ll get sore and he won’t get any milk.  Your baby will begin sucking vigorously and find his own pace.
  6. When his sucking subsides, switch him to other breast until he stops feeding.
  7. Next time he feeds, start from the breast he nursed from last and repeat the same procedure.  This way, he’ll receive equal amounts of milk from each breast and you’ll avoid the sensation of overfullness in either of your breasts.

[Source: My Baby Book (GlaxoSmithKline)]

To my fellow mommies, let’s make breastfeeding our advocacy. Let’s encourage and educate soon-to-be-moms regarding the advantages of breastfeeding and also the lactating mothers to continuously breastfeed their babies beyond 6 months of age. Let’s all put in mind that there’s no substitute for breastmilk so let’s maximize our capacity to produce milk for the benefit of our babies.

Related posts:

1. Breastfeeding

2. Breastfeeding Advantages to Mothers

3. Milk for Breastfeeding Mothers

• Reply zoan September 13, 2012 at 5:31 am

Wonderful post. I am currently breastfeeding my 5 months old daughter will make a post about this advocacy too

• Reply Maica Ocfemia-Figuracion September 13, 2012 at 11:56 am

Thank you Mommy Zoan!

• Reply dorry lyn September 13, 2012 at 5:39 am

helpful tips indeed for mothers like me…

• Reply Pepper Tan September 13, 2012 at 6:55 am

I’m all for breastfeeding. It’s the best form of nourishment any mother can possibly give her baby. I breastfed for 1.5 years, and don’t regret it a single bit.

• Reply Maica Ocfemia-Figuracion September 13, 2012 at 11:53 am

I totally agree. Babies who are breastfed are have stronger immune system compared to others.

• Reply tatess September 13, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I am for breast feeding ,baby needs nutrients that only breast milk can give. Sadly ,not all mom can breast feed the baby’s for a long time due to lack of mil and i am one of them.

• Reply Chie September 13, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Thanks for these helpful tips. I can surely use these tips in the future when God will give me a little angel na. I’ve been hoping to experience breastfeeding to my little one.

• Reply Jessica Cassidy September 13, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Both my kids are breast-feds babies 🙂 they are now 9 and 6 🙂 I am happy that I do not need to buy formula. Nursing your baby is a great bond too plus the nutrient they got from your breast.

• Reply jesie September 13, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I wanted to breastfed with my two kids and been reading alot of tips, however, it always depend on the situation where you already there is. It never worked out for me. But, to those who wanted to breastfed, it might work out for you, so these are good tips to keep in mind.

• Reply Bless September 14, 2012 at 12:12 am

I am all for breastfeeding. Both my girls are breasfed babies. Our DD1 was bf’d until 22 months, and DD2 is not yet totally weaned at 29 months.

• Reply jheylo September 14, 2012 at 1:23 am

great tips for new moms out there. I breastfed my first born for only a month, for some reason he could not latch on my nipple and he gave up. For my second child, she’s breastfed for 6 months, she don’t want to let go of it but i had to because she kept on bitting my nipple. Yikes! hurts!

• Reply Shela September 14, 2012 at 2:55 am

Been that and it hurts for the first 3 days! 🙂

• Reply Mel Cole September 14, 2012 at 4:07 am

Good job on promoting breastfeeding. I always love to hear tips that has mother and child bonding with it and not just for a sexy body crap.

• Reply Les September 14, 2012 at 4:58 am

Awts! I was not able to breastfed my babies because I have a maintenance meds. Sayang nga ang dami ko pa naman milk 🙁

• Reply rj's mama September 14, 2012 at 5:54 am

I breastfed my son for 2 years and 5 months 🙂 He was really a very healthy baby and I’m sure breast feeding him that long helped made him healthy

• Reply musings of a working mom September 14, 2012 at 6:44 am

such a nice tips, how i wish i also have the joy of breastfeeding but there’s no milk coming out from me,

• Reply [email protected] September 14, 2012 at 8:43 am

I would encourage moms to breastfeed too! Great tips!

• Reply Dhemz September 14, 2012 at 4:53 pm

very helpful tips….I tried to breastfeed my daughter when she was born, but I guess it was a failure because she’s allergic to my milk…well, that’s what do doctor was saying.

• Reply Mommy Pehpot September 16, 2012 at 2:15 pm

may I just add that drinking lots of fluid can also help 🙂

• Reply The Purple Doll September 17, 2012 at 8:22 am

I’m not a mom yet, but thanks for sharing such helpful tips with us 🙂 This’ll somehow help me prepare for motherhood in the future.

• Reply Mye September 20, 2012 at 3:03 am

I am bookmarking this for reference. Preggy now and researching for some breastfeeding tips!

• Reply MommyLES September 20, 2012 at 5:16 am

Too bad I was not able to breastfeed my kids, bawal kasi for the kids I’m under medication. These are great tips 🙂

• Reply Teresa Martinez September 21, 2012 at 3:31 am

The benefits of breastfeeding a child extends way beyond their actual breastfeeding years.

• Reply sigrid @ lovinglymama September 21, 2012 at 3:48 am

It has been years since I last breastfed Dindin. Too bad it was short-lived 🙁 I would have wanted to breastfeed her till she was over 1 year old.

• Reply Mommy Pehpot September 21, 2012 at 4:17 am

This is really such a good help to those parents especially newly moms out there who are planning to breastfeed their babies soon. 🙂

• Reply Badet | The Misis Chronicles September 21, 2012 at 10:37 am

My daughter still nurses from me every night. It’s a great feeling and I hope more and more moms will breastfeed their babies.

• Reply Karen September 22, 2012 at 5:11 am

Although I wanted to nourish my daughter with my breast milk, it’s sad that my lactation only lasted for 3 months. The same also happened to me with my eldest.

• Reply jem alvarado September 22, 2012 at 9:45 am

I’m excited to breastfeed my baby in the coming months.. This tips will help.. Thanks!