Little Stars is a kiddie model search contest organized and hosted by Sta. Lucia East Mall in Cainta, Rizal. Yearly, they are looking for cute, cheerful, talented, witty and smart little boys and girls between 3 to 6 years of age.
- How will Keisha represent herself in front of a huge crowd at the age of 3? I don’t want her to develop stage-fright.
- She hasn’t been in school so technically her experience is less compared to the pre-schoolers. A 3 year-old girl’s skill is far different from a 5 to 6 years of age.
- I don’t want to force Keisha doing the things she doesn’t like.
- I don’t want to inject tiring and time-consuming activities since I don’t want to compromise her play time.
- To top it all, I hate the nervous feeling when you’re competing in a contest.
But, since she is my mother and her happiness is always important to me, I agreed and convinced my husband as well with the intention of just seeing Keisha perform on-stage. According to my mom, we’ll just let her be screened and watch her performance.
Here are the requirements for the aspiring Little Stars:
- filled-out application form
- recent 3r close-up and full body photo
- photocopy of birth certificate (original copy of the document must be presented for verification)
During the screening day, we came in early around 10:00 A.M. I submitted her requirements and her CD for the talent presentation, in return, they gave me a number. She’s number 26.
If my memory serves me right, the screening started around 4:00 P.M. Can you imagine how long we waited? Keisha woke up 9:00 A.M. and didn’t manage to sleep in the mall since she was busy playing with other kids.
It was my mom who stayed with Keisha backstage. According to her, before Keisha’s turn, she was already tired and sleepy. Good thing, I went there and looked for her. I’ve seen her chinita eyes lit up when she saw me . Then, in a snap she’s energized again.
When her name was called, she walked playfully on-stage not entirely knowing why she was there.
Here are Keisha’s first contest screening videos.
Participants were asked to introduce themselves first, then, do a 1-minute talent presentation and answer the judge’s questions.
If you watched the video, you’ll see that Keisha instantly sang “Pearly Shell” right away. Haha! She stopped and introduced herself, danced “Pearly Shell” when the song was played and answered Ms. Kathy’s questions. It’s funny that she was hesitant to answer the questions thrown at her since she didn’t see where the speaker’s voice was coming from. But, then, even with sort of hesitation and doubt, she answered the questions and sang the famous OPM song “Pusong Bato”.
That was a 3-minute roller-coaster of emotion on my part. I was totally nervous the whole time, I watched Keisha’s performance, took her video, cheered for her and prayed all at the same time. Imagine how hard was that. Haha!
Keisha together with one of the contestants who danced Hawaiian as well.
The screening ended around 7 to 8:00 P.M. and we were all advised to wait for their call to determine if our kids passed the screening and if they are eligible for the second round – The Elimination.
Let me share with you the what I learned from this experience…
- Do not let opportunities pass because you can never regain it once it’s done.
- It’s not bad to know and test the capacity of your children. Putting them under pressure and on-stage in front of a huge crowd help them to gain and build their confidence.
- Never underestimate the ability of your kids. Let them grow believing that they have so much potential within themselves that they can share to others.
- Support the interests of your kids 100%.
All my apprehensions vanished when I’ve seen Keisha on-stage. She carried herself well and I am so proud of her.
In the next few days , I will be sharing the Elimination and Semi-Finals round of this contest. There you can see how Keisha evolved and matured. Truly, my heart is full of gratitude to Sta. Lucia East Mall for these series of momentous events in my daughter’s life.
Sta. Lucia East Grand Mall
Marcos Highway corner Felix Avenue
Cainta, Rizal 1900
Ad & Promo:
Tel No: 681.5401 to 15 local 109 / 116 / 118
Email: [email protected]