Good dental hygiene is a must for everyone. Whether you are young or old, you are expected to take good care of your teeth. But how can we make kids love brushing their teeth? Some kids find it too tiring, some are bored, some just don’t like to brush their teeth at all.
As a mom of a 5-year old pre-schooler, I make sure that my daughter embraces the concept and importance of brushing her teeth. Imparting good oral hygiene at the onset was a challenge since she got scared of the pediatric dentist we visited when she was a year old. Luckily, she overcame that feeling and learned to love brushing. I will be sharing tips on how I made her love brushing her teeth and I hope this will help other moms make brushing time fun time for their kids.
Here are the tips on how to make toothbrushing “Hapee” time for kids:
- Set a good example. As we know, children imitate what we do. Show them that brushing our teeth after meals is part of our everyday routine.
- Visit a friendly pediatric dentist every 6 months. A pediatric dentist will be of great help in instilling the importance of oral hygiene to your kids. It’s a must that you choose the dentist who’s friendly enough to deal with your child.
Note: While in the dental clinic, it helps that your child feel your presence and support.
- Inform them the advantages of brushing as well as the disadvantages. In my daughter’s case, she saw one of my husband’s baby picture and was surprised to see his dad’s black teeth. With that instance, I let her know that daddy was not fond of brushing his teeth when he’s young that’s why he had tooth decay build-up making his white teeth turned into black. Believe me, this tactic worked really well on her.
- Brush with them. Brushing is more fun when you have a companion. Show them the proper way of brushing and let them copy you. Brush the front, upper right, upper left, lower left,lower right in an up and down motion, and, of course, don’t forget to clean your tongue. When she was 2 years of age, I let her do it on her own. After that, I brush her teeth again so I can clean the areas she didn’t reach well.
- Sing a song. It takes two minutes to thoroughly clean kid’s teeth. You may sing Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, Wheels On The Bus, or any other song of your kid’s choice that will make him/her enjoy brushing more. Singing will make them feel like they’re just playing.
- Buy a kiddie toothpaste that will give kids the right protection against tooth decay like HAPEE Kiddie Toothpaste.Hapee Kiddie Toothpaste is a fun-flavored toothpaste with fluoride level that’s safe for kids giving them the right protection against tooth decay.It comes in 7 exciting flavors that will surely entice kids to brush often:Strawberry Bloom, Orange Squeeze, Tutti-frutti Twist, Apple Crunch, Juicy Grapes, Bubblegum Pop, and Cookies & Cream AhoyHapee Kiddie Toothpaste is available in 50 ml (with free games inside cartons) – SRP P34.00 and in 40g – SRP P23.25)
Let your child choose the flavor and character he/she wants to add more excitement on her brushing time.
- Let your kids choose their own toothbrush. Images on the toothbrush like cartoon characters also play a role in your child’s brushing routine as they treat them as their”brushing partners”. Also, please remember to choose a toothbrush with soft bristles so as not to damage their gums and with soft handle for an easy grip.
- Involve them in the whole toothbrushing routine. From choosing their own toothpaste, toothbrush, choice of song while brushing, putting pea-sized amount of toothpaste on their brush, brushing process and flossing. Yes, teach them how to floss as well.
- Providing a cute storage for their toothbrush also helps too!
I hope these fun brushing tips will serve as a guide and will help you moms and dads out there to convince your kids to brush their teeth regularly. Years from now, our kids will be grateful for the good dental hygiene that we impart to them.
And, to those of you who have other suggestions, feel free to post your tips below at the comment section.