Making the Best Decisions for My Daughter

As a first time mom, it is very hard to get the hang of doing all things on my own. Deciding on several things concerning my daughter’s welfare is definitely not a walk in the park as I’m very cautious not to commit mistakes that will have negative impact on her well-being. Like all moms, I want to give my daughter the best. I want to give her the life that she deserves. But how can I do that when I’m not that knowledgeable and uncertain at times when it comes to child-rearing?

Here’s my take on how I make the best decisions for my daughter, Keisha…

Making The Best Decions For My Daughter On my first year of being a mom, I relied on the advices and guidance of two important women in my life who have “been there, done that” – my mom and mother-in-law. I also welcomed tips from other moms whom I personally trust.

When my daughter started eating solid foods, I asked for tips from other experienced moms regarding what nutritious meals to serve, as well as what I can do to encourage my child to eat more fruits and vegetables (especially vegetables!). I also sought their opinion, and the opinion of my pediatrician, on what they think is the right milk to give my daughter when she turned 3 years old.

I also asked other moms who were more experience than me about how to properly raise my child, how to be a good and responsible parent, what is the correct way to impose discipline, what educational toys I can buy, and the like.

Although asking help from other experienced moms is very helpful for first-time moms like me, sometimes, it is also a disadvantage as all the varying advises, guidance and tips can become confusing.

DSCF7424Yes, I became confused and it just made me less confident and unsure about making important decisions for my daughter. For example, there were times that I wanted to impose discipline on her at a young age, but I thought of what other moms told me: that children her age really behave like that and that it is nothing but normal. So it made me confused as to what I should do whenever my daughter is throwing a tantrum. The same goes when I go to the grocery to buy items for Keisha.

Making The Best Decions For My Daughter

Speaking of grocery shopping, what made me more confident in choosing which product to buy, aside from remembering the suggestions of other moms, I made it a habit to always check the label of each item. This is one practice that made me a better and “sure” mom. When you buy a certain product, check the packaging and there you can see detailed list of the ingredients, preparation guidelines, plus the expiration date.

However, take note that checking the label doesn’t just include grocery items. When I say “checking the label”, I mean doing a background check on everything that is related to me as mom/parent, concerning my daughter’s welfare. I do researches on certain products and check out online reviews to make sure that a certain product (or service) is well trusted.  In addition, I read the synopsis of particular movies and TV shows before I allow Keisha to watch them. I also read through the details found in the soap boxes, shampoo bottles, etc. to make sure that they do not contain anything harmful to my daughter.

Check the label 3Checking the label of food items is one thing that’s on top of my list when grocery shopping. I check the contents/ingredients, as well as the nutritional facts—especially the nutritional facts. By doing this, I became more confident as a mom because I know and I am sure that what I am giving Keisha is the best, and that what I am giving her is what she needs to grow big, strong, and protected from within.

Making The Best Decions For My Daughter By making it a habit to check the label, I also feel more confident that I am doing the right thing as a mother.

I highly encourage other moms like me to always check the label of food and non-food items that we give our kids. We shouldn’t take chances when our goal is to give our little ones only the best, right?

How about you, mom? Do you make it a habit to always check the label, especially of foods and beverages before buying or giving them to your precious kiddos? Or would you like to share your take on this?

• Reply Angelic Sinova July 8, 2016 at 2:44 pm

Sounds like you’re doing everything in power to make sure Keisha grows up healthy and strong. I’m not a mom but checking labels is a must when I’m grocery shopping. I want to make sure what I’m eating is good for me.

• Reply Kaye Figuracion July 8, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Yes, it applies not only to our kids but to ourselves as well.

• Reply Alli July 8, 2016 at 7:39 pm

Your daughter is blessed to have a mom like you. It’s great that you are open to guidance from other parents.

I also check food labels when I shop for groceries. It’s so important to know what’s in our food.

• Reply Heather July 8, 2016 at 8:30 pm

I do check labels but not all of the time. I let them enjoy the junk food occasionally but try to inform them about the better choice.

• Reply Jeanette July 8, 2016 at 10:34 pm

Sounds like you are very caring mother, and being concerned about the welfare of your daughter is the best thing you can do! That shows how much you love her. The matter what mistakes will be made and learning from them is the key to moving forward.

• Reply Pam July 8, 2016 at 11:47 pm

I always check the label on foods for myself and for my kids. It’s important to know what you and your family are eating.

• Reply Franc Ramon July 9, 2016 at 12:32 am

I think it’s important to check the labels so you’ll have an idea of the nutrients you are getting. I think it’s better to start them disciplined area then you can just loosen up later.

• Reply Sarah July 9, 2016 at 8:05 am

I am not a Mom, but do have friends who are Moms who I noticed read labels. I bet I would if I were a Mom too! It makes sense to choose the best for your child and ourselves!

• Reply Maureen July 9, 2016 at 1:08 pm

Reading label is a must for me when I shop for my kid.

• Reply Sara July 9, 2016 at 11:09 pm

I always check the label before I buy a food for my children. If there are any ingredients I do not approve of, I will not buy it!

• Reply Chrishelle July 9, 2016 at 11:45 pm

Back years ago, most moms were not label checkers. However, I think the new generation of moms have to be label readers. You need to make sure to avoid harmful products for your whole family.

• Reply Bella July 10, 2016 at 12:42 am

You are a great mother!! Your daughter is adorable

• Reply Bonnie @wemake7 July 10, 2016 at 10:04 am

I check labels all the time as well. I never did before but have started a lot lately now that I have learned about all the bad that is in foods and products.

• Reply Rebecca Swenor July 10, 2016 at 10:32 pm

We as new moms always ask others for their thought on what, when, and how to do things for our new little ones. I do check the labels on the foods and I made sure I cook homemade foods for my kids. We would only eat out once in a great while. I am not big on pop or the sugary drinks put I would buy the juices that were 100% juice for my boys Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

• Reply ricci July 10, 2016 at 11:46 pm

It sounds like you are a great mom!! Your daughter is also adorable and I’m sure you will make amazing memories with her!!

• Reply Carin Kilby Clark July 11, 2016 at 8:44 am

I can definitely relate to being a first-time mom and struggling to make decisions for my child. Even as a mom of three now, it doesn’t get much easier. You always hope that you’re making the right choices — in the end you just have to trust that you’re doing your best. 🙂

• Reply Emily July 11, 2016 at 12:55 pm

what a great mom. I love how parents made some great decisions for their kids.

• Reply Caro July 11, 2016 at 2:28 pm

Sounds like a great mom! Your daughter is adorable!

• Reply Kaye Figuracion July 11, 2016 at 9:41 pm

Thank you Caro!

• Reply Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen July 12, 2016 at 3:38 am

I’ve made a habit to check the label of everything that we are buying! Nido is actually Ykaie’s milk when she was younger.